Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chalk

I watched this movie clip of this movie called Chalk, the "Office" of teachers. Before I even saw any of the movie I was already excited to see how they planned on making a movie on the daily life of a teacher.
Was the movie far fetched?? I don't think so, that school reminded me a correctional facility. I personally think no one that goes to Luther college went to a school like that but I think their out there. I can personally say I've had classmates that are as disruptive as some of the students in that classroom but not all the students in this movie were disruptive.
To the new teacher in the movie, I think that is one of my worst fears is to not have control of my class. What would you do if you had a student or two confront you? It is not something you want, I've seen some pretty ugly stand offs in my day at school and I knew I would not want to be in the teachers shoes that had to stand up to a kid that does not want to do their work and only wants to yell at you.
This movie really does cover a lot of issues I feel about the working day of a teacher but covers up its seriousness with humor. Issues of what people think of you, having a family, fights, lesson plans, and getting out of your comfort zone.

1 comment:

  1. Alex, I think being nervous about classroom management is definitely a legitimate concern. The main key, I think, is to start off the classroom right. Make sure the students know you are in charge. Make the expectations clear, that way the students will respect you more. Respect between students and teachers is important! Pay attention to the good teachers you observe, they are definitely worth watching!

    ReplyDelete