Monday, March 30, 2009

Guest speaker 3/30/09

The guest speaker we had tonight really brought in a culture that most people sitting in our room tonight have never been introduced to. The surveys shown tonight really helped myself shape how the students think. Would I say its so different over there, we both value education and family and those where the two main points of each survey. Obviously the traditions that Vietnam had were slightly different from what we are used to but I think the whole idea of arranged marriage is kind of a scary thought to most people. I honestly think though that the most frightening thing that was said tonight was how the divorce rate has been going up and how fast it has been spiking in the last century.
The question was brought up if we thought it was possible to be like Vietnam. I think all things are possible when brought up in a strong family and if education is one of the top priorities in the family I think most anything can be done. It just has to start from somewhere.
I did also think that it was hard to understand what our guest speaker was saying, I know for a fact that has done a better job talking to us then I could ever to do anyone in his country but I had to really piece together what he was trying to say and sometimes I didn't quite get the point of some of the things he was saying. That was frustrating because it was interesting to hear what he had to say but its just sad I couldn't fully understand him. I myself have been put in a situation when I was in Germany I could not hardly order anything or even ask directions so I understand how hard it is to communicate when there are language conflicts but I thought he did a very good job trying to say things as well as he did.

1 comment:

  1. I also found the rising divorce rates interesting. What do you make of the fact that while arranged marriages were commonplace, divorce rates were extremely low, and that while people had the freedom to marry who they wished, divorce rates skyrocketed?

    ReplyDelete